World Famous Comics: Bach Trios |
| Bach Trios |
|By: Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer Yo-Yo Ma|
Average Rating: see reviews
Binding: Audio CD
Number of Discs: 1
Number of Items: 1
Publication Date: 2014
Release Date: April 07, 2017
More Similar Items...
Nonesuch Records releases an album of Bach works recorded by cellist Yo-Yo Ma, mandolinist Chris Thile, and bassist Edgar Meyer, Bach Trios, on April 7, 2017, with the two-LP vinyl edition due April 21. The album comprises works by J.S. Bach originally written for keyboard instruments, plus one sonata for viola da gamba. In 2011, Ma, Thile, and Meyer—along with Stuart Duncan—collaborated on The Goat Rodeo Sessions, which won two Grammy Awards.
Yo-Yo Ma and Edgar Meyer's first recording together was the 1996 album Appalachia Waltz, which also featured fiddler Mark O'Connor; that album was followed by Appalachian Journey, also with O'Connor, in 2000. Meyer and Thile also began playing together nearly two decades ago, and first performed live as a duo in 2003. They have made two duo albums, 2008's Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile and the Grammy–winning 2014 record Bass & Mandolin.
Thile then joined Meyer on Ma's 2008 holiday album, Songs of Joy and Peace, before the trio reunited, along with Stuart Duncan, for The Goat Rodeo Sessions, an album of original tunes drawing from the musicians' backgrounds in bluegrass, classical, and American roots music. The Goat Rodeo Sessions debuted at number twenty-three on the Billboard 200 chart and number one on the classical and classical crossover charts, as well as number one on the bluegrass chart, where it stayed for eleven weeks. The album was also critically praised, with the Los Angeles Times calling it "haunting, invigorating, often breathtaking."
As Ma told Billboard at that time: "How often do you work with people who are master virtuosos and also master improvisers and composers, who know at least two musical traditions unbelievably well?" He continued, "It's just extraordinary when you have people who can actually show on their instruments what they're thinking at any moment, without a delay. As soon as you think it, it gets transferred in your neuromusculature immediately into sound."
The New York Times said of Yo-Yo Ma, who is considered one of today's foremost interpreters of Bach, "Other cellists hear Bach's suites the same as Mr. Ma, but few if any have the technical means to transfer their imaginings so precisely into sound." Ma maintains a balance between his engagements as soloist with orchestras worldwide and his recital and chamber music activities. His discography includes more than one hundred albums, eighteen of which have won Grammy Awards. Ma also serves as the Artistic Director of Silkroad, an organization he founded to promote cross-cultural performance and collaborations. More than eighty works have been commissioned specifically for the Silk Road Ensemble, which tours annually. Ma also serves as the Judson and Joyce Green Creative Consultant to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's Negaunee Music Institute and in 2016 was appointed Artistic Advisor to the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
- Trio Sonata No. 6 in G Major, BWV 530: I. Vivace
- Trio Sonata No. 6 in G Major, BWV 530: II. Lento
- Trio Sonata No. 6 in G Major, BWV 530: III. Allegro
- The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I: Prelude No. 19 in A Major, BWV 864
- Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme, BWV 645
- The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book II: Fugue No. 20 in A Minor, BWV 889
- Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ, BWV 639
- Prelude No. 18 in E Minor, BWV 548
- Fugue No. 18 in E Minor, BWV 548
- Keyboard Partita No. 5 in G Major, BWV 829: VI. Passepied
- Kommst du nun, Jesu, vom Himmel herunter, BWV 650
- Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080: Contrapunctus XIII a 3, "Rectus"
- Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080: Contrapunctus XIII a 3, "Inversus"
- Erbarm dich mein, O Herre Gott, BWV 721
- Sonata for Viola da Gamba No. 3 in G Minor, BWV 1029: I. Vivace
- Sonata for Viola da Gamba No. 3 in G Minor, BWV 1029: II. Adagio
- Sonata for Viola da Gamba No. 3 in G Minor, BWV 1029: III. Allegro
Related Categories:Similar Items
More Similar Items...